Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Macanoni and Cheese

Here is another how to! I am going to start posting some of my main recipes I make and how I do it without a recipe. 
Last night we had macaroni and cheese or as Isabelle calls it 'macanoni.'
Now this is not any kind of diet food and since I am trying to live a 'better life' this does not fall into the category of weight management, but when the kid makes a decision some times it is easier to go along with her.
First as always, gather the ingredients. Today I have pasta (any kind of pasta you have will do,) butter, flour, cheese, salt, pepper, milk and for today I added bacon (just to add meat for the husband)


First I boil some water and throw about 1/2t of salt into the water. Cover and bring water to a boil. Start cooking your bacon, if you like.


In another pot, melt the butter.


Add flour to the butter and combine, there should be enough flour for a thick paste to form and so the butter doesn't really melt out of the flour. Let that cook for about a minute but try not to let it brown.


Add the milk. Now usually I just add a whack of cold milk to this and then sit at the stove and stir until it thickens. Lately I have been gradually adding the milk to slowly combine and this time I actually even heated the milk. Usually I am too lazy to do any of it, so its your choice.


Today I used this kind of pasta, I call it scooby doo, no idea why but that is what I call it. It is great for holding on to the sauce. Once the water boils throw these puppies into the water and cook like normal to al dente.


Once the sauce has thickened up to the consistency you want. It should coat the spoon. Take the pot off the stove and add grated cheese. Add enough cheese to turn the sauce a satisfactory orange colour.


Mmm satisfactory orange colour!


Drain the pasta.


Put enough sauce on the bottom to coat and through a small amount of pasta in and combine.


Add more pasta, more sauce and cut up cooked bacon into mix and stir it around. Mix all the pasta and all the cheese sauce together. Then cover with grated cheese. If you have bread crumbs sprinkle on top.


Bake in a 400F oven for at least 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling up.


Let sit for 5 minutes or so and serve it up.
Yummy yummy macanoni!
Do you like these recipes? Should I do more?

No comments:

Post a Comment